Donal Tannam started his Judo training in 1977 under Olympian Mr Liam Carroll. He continued to train up the ranks untill college and full time employment took priority.
He eventually returned to training, with his son, as a way of releiving the stress of his hectic job.
He earned his Black Belt aged 38. A test that requires accumulating no less than 10 wins in competition within a fixed time period.
Since then he has gone on to represent Ireland in an ever growing list of tournaments, including the world championships in Atlanta where he won bronze. His most recent win was at the UK masters tournament held in High Wycombe. His perfect score not only earned him the Championship but also enough point to attend the 4th Dan black belt exam later this year.
- World Masters Championships: 2 Bronze Medals (Derry & Atlanta) 2 5th Place (Toronto & Vienna)
- High Wycombe British Masters Open: 2 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze
- French Masters Open: 1 Gold Austrian Masters Open: 2 Silver
- Hungarian Masters Open: 1 Silver, 3 Bronze
- Irish Open: 2 Gold, 2 Silver, 2 Bronze (Masters)
- Irish Closed: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze (Masters) 2 Silver (Seniors)
- Leinster Open: 4 Bronze (Seniors) 2 Bronze (Masters)
- Leinster Closed: 2 Silver (Masters), 1 Gold (Seniors)
- Galway Open: 1 Gold, (Seniors) 1 Gold (Masters)
- Waterford Open: 2 Silver (Masters),1 Gold, 2 Silver(Seniors)
- Kilkenny Open: 1 Silver (Masters),1 Gold (Seniors)
- Munster Open : 1 Silver (Masters),1 Gold (Seniors)
4th Dan awarded 12th June 2010
Between 2002 and 2009 Donal has amassed 12 golds, 16 silvers and 11 bronze medals, as well as a number of other championship titles.And that’s just the ones he’s told us about!
Donal teaches several times per week. He runs Juniors on a Tuesday and Friday 4-6pm for 6-10years, 5-6pm for 11-16 years.
Adult classes (16+) are Wednesday (8pm), Friday (6pm) and Sunday (4-5pm)